Thursday, May 26, 2005

The biopsy

My appointment was at 9:30 this morning. I think the anticipation is the worst. They came and got me and took me to the area and the girl gave me a gown and told me all i had to remove was my shirt and put on the gown with the opening to the back.

Then to a room. She explained what she was going to do and what the doctor would do. Then she did a scan of my liver area and went off to figure things out and then she came back with the doctor not too long afterwards. Very nice guy and he also explained what would happen and talked to me each step of the way explaining what he was doing.

He did some scanning himself for a wee bit and picked his spot. He marked it with a straw (indentation) and then swabbed the area with alcohol and whatever else and then he said he would be putting in some freezing and it might sting a bit. I hardly felt it but did feel a bit. When it was frozen and he again made sure of his spot he put the little machine up there and click click and it was done. He showed me what it looks like and i was pretty surprised to see it is only the size of a piece of thread!

He cleaned me up and had me roll on my right side and he explained what to watch for (redness, swelling and pain) for infection and what to watch for for bleeding but otherwise to just take it easy for the rest of the day. I had to stay for an hour lying on my right side to make sure there was no bleeding and then I was allowed to leave.

When I did turn onto my side it hurt with both pain on my side and pain in my right shoulder (referred pain) but this was to be expected and didn't get any worse so I was let go. At that point all I wanted was to go home and relax and have a cold drink. Which is exactly what we did. My sweet husband took me to a Timmy's on the way home and I got a nice cold Iced Capp! It was wonderful!

I won't get any results for probably a week from Dr. Erb. I will have to phone and make an appointment. Then we will know where we are at and what needs to be done next.

No comments: