Monday, June 07, 2010

Back to the doc

June 7, 2010 - Appointment today withe the HepC doc. I need to find out if my low platelet count has taken away any chance of treatment. If it has then I need to know what next? If not, then I need to remind him I am still here and see if any drug trials are coming up any time soon.

I hate going there and it stresses me out for days before hand. Being alone with this is a lot harder than having a partner to share it with. I have family and friends and they are concerned and helpful but it's not the same as having a partner that loves you and stresses along with you. Besides who wants to go and get a bad report from the doc and not have anyone to lean on. It sucks. :) and I'm being a big baby. :(

My platelets had fallen to 68 and then last blood work that was done they were back up to 79. Supposedly the cutoff for treatment is 90 so that is a concern. If I am not able to do treatment then what? I guess I wait till I get bad enough for a transplant.

Update:

I saw the doctor and as I suspected the low platelet count pushes me out of any drug trials. He said it didn't mean I couldn't have treatment just that I couldn't do drug trials but also for me right now there is no treatment. He said if he did have a treatment my platelet count wouldn't stop me being treated. So all I can do is live as healthy as possible and hang in there. He said treatment is probably about 5 years away. I asked if I would still be here in 5 years when treatment was available he said that was the plan! Maintain and eat right, exercise, don't drink which I don't anyway so no hardship there.

All my other counts were ok. My glucose and thyroid are both good. My lft's are elevated but not excessively so. In a way it was a relief to not have to worry about treatment right now. I felt torn and stressed about it all but now I can just relax, do what I can do and hope to hang in there for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth - My heart aches for you. I went through a Hep C trial 2 years ago and was virus free by the 4th week of the 48 week treatment and have been lucky to now be considered cured. My doctor said that drug will be on the market a year from this fall - so perhaps there will be an earlier option for you. You're right - my dear husband made the treatment so much easier. I wondered many times how I would get through it without him. But then - many partners aren't that supportive. You sound like an amazing woman. My best wishes to you.

Jan