Sunday, February 03, 2008

February 2008

Wow the days move along. We are already into February. July will be here before we know it and I have to lose a few pounds before I get on that ship. I got an email from my mom informing me we are going on a ship and not a boat! I want to lose about 10 - 15 lbs and that is very do-able if I actually get to it. Ah well food is one of my vices along with pot and really the one just makes the other worse!


Last Thursday night my son and granddaughter and I went and say Walking with Dinosaurs live. I left work at 2pm and picked up C at at about 2:45 in Delta and then had to get into downtown Vancouver. I printed instructions from mytelus and enlarged them to a big font and had them stuck up where I could see them in the car and just followed what it said and was into town in no time. I am not that familiar with the bridges and by-passes that connect Surrey, Delta, Richmond, New Westminster and Vancouver but we did fine. We sang and talked and entertained each other along the way.


Made it into downtown and found a parking garage fairly close to GM Place. It cost me $11 to park from 3:30 until 9:30. But if I had parked at the sky train lot and bought an all day ride pass it would have cost me the same so ............. but still expensive I thought. Anyway it was about a 5 block walk to where my son works in one of the skyscrapers down there. Downtown Vancouver has sure changed from when I was a kid. It's a whole different world down there but we had a good time walking along and talking. People would smile at C and she finally said to me. "You know what Grandma? When ladies go by they smile at me but when men go by they don't" and so I watched and she was correct. The ladies all gave her a smile and the men ignored her. I got to wondering if it was a sign of the times. Men are looked at with suspicion if they pay attention to small children. Kind of sad I think.


Anyway we met D and headed out and found a White Spot and had dinner. I was kind of disappointed though. When I was a kid White Spot was a hamburger drive-in that would bring the food out to your car on long trays that would slide in the window and attach at the other window across the front seat. They have what they call triple-O sauce. When we were kids in high school we had a White Spot just down the street and that is where we would congregate on weekend nights at the end of a date to sit and eat burgers and visit car to car. The burgers were the best! The food on Thursday night just didn't live up to my memories of the deluxe triple O burger and fries but C had a good time.


We got to GM Place just as they were opening the doors so we were able to get in out of the cold. The show was excellent and a bit scary for the little ones to begin with but they soon realized they were fine and enjoyed the show. I can't really explain how big these animatrons were and how loud they were but you really did feel like you were getting a chance to see what a real dinosaur was like. We were all glad we had come.


Rumors at work that we might be moving into a brand new complex and new office space with a nice big shop. That would sure be nice and from the birdie that let slip the news it seems like it will be much easier for me to get to work and I won't have to drive the freeway.


The sun is shining at the moment although it is 2 below but I may venture out for a walk with Lacey this afternoon if it warms up a bit. I'm a big baby with the cold and can't wait from spring and some warmth and sunshine. My babies this morning waiting for me to be done on the comptuer.

2 comments:

someone said...

Word from my kin folk in Calgary is minus 40 and bizzards... no wonder hey got no dino's there... the bit about the drive in burger bar took me back to childhood, God I could drink a root beer right now,some large fries and a big burger with all the trimmings....and have some of your pot....There was an online store based in Vancouver that we could buy the stuff online but sadly they no longer ship to the UK.... enjoy the ship... I sailed back to the old country from Montreal many years ago..on the Empress of Canada now that was some boat... think I'll go an d google it.... regards jb x

Elizabeth Anne said...

JB,
It's the same with fish and chips at the beach. When I was a kid and lived in Kitsilano we'd spend the day at the beach and the highlight would be fish and chips deep fried right there and it was sooooo delicious. Now you go and you get preformed patties of some description that are not the same at all.
As for the best know BC pot online it was probably Mark Emory. Because he was selling seeds and sending them to whomever ordered them, the american drug police requested his extradition to the states for prosecution. Unbelievable!!!! and SO WRONG!! You can read about it here.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/01/14/bc-marcemerycutsdeal.html